Re: new package ghmessen

Frank Schütte:
> Hello,
> I need some help for orientation.
>
> I have written a java program and would like to maintain a debian
> package for it.
I understand that you don't intend to package the program for the official
java archive? This list is mostly about java packages in Debian, so you might
not find that many help here.

Having said that...

> The program
> has a new mime file type,
> some binary only 32bit libraries,
You should really try to get hold of the source code. Otherwise you might end
up some day not beeing able to run your program on a new platform or fix a
bug.
> needs jna and some other java libraries,
> is packaged with some java libraries for which I don't have the source but
> am allowed to redistribute them.
For official Debian packages that's one of the main annoyances: To split the
shipped libraries from the upstream tarball and make the code run with the
library versions from the Debian archive.
> The program has a desktop file and icons, too.
>
> Is alioth the right place to put the package or should I use a different
> server because of the binary only libraries?
As I understand, alioth is intended for software related to Debian, so your
software might not qualify: http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth
Maybe use something like Github, Sourceforge, ...?

> Can I package everything together or do I need to break up the package.
If it's just your personal package that should not go into Debian than it's
easiest to package everything together.

> Java standard packages will not be packaged with my program (such as
> jna, javahelp2, rxtx-java, ...).
>
> I would appreciate any help or pointers. I did rpm packaging and a did some
> deb packaging but am unfamiliar with the repository infrastructure.

It would be much easier if your software would be available in a public Git
repository, e.g. on Github, Bitbucket, Sourceforge, Google Code, ...

Schöne Grüße,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro