Packaging Jena, and mh_make trouble

Hi all,

First off, I'm new to Java packaging, so apologies if I'm missing
something obvious.

I'd like to get Jena¹, a Java framework for semantic web applications,
into Debian, picking up on #563793². That ITP references work done 5
years ago, and doesn't cover other facets of Jena, such as ARQ, TDB,
and Fuseki.

Following the instructions at
<http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenDebianHelper> I started by running the
following:

> mh_make
> --from-svn=https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jena/Jena2/IRI/trunk/
> -pjena-iri -blibjena-iri-java -ttrue -dtrue

which complained about being unable to find the parent POM, even though
it was told to ignore it:

> In pom.xml: Ignore the parent POM for this POM?
> org.apache.jena:jena-top:pom:0-incubating [y]/n > y [ERROR] Cannot
> find parent dependency org.apache.jena:jena-top:pom:0-incubating,
> use --no-parent option to resolve this issue or install the parent
> POM in the Maven repository

and eventually died with the following:

> 17-Feb-2012 21:40:36
> org.debian.maven.packager.DependenciesSolver$ToResolve resolve
> SEVERE: Cannot resolve dependencies on ./pom.xml
> java.lang.ClassCastException: org.debian.maven.repo.Dependency
> cannot be cast to java.lang.Comparable at
> java.util.TreeMap.put(TreeMap.java:559) at
> java.util.TreeSet.add(TreeSet.java:255) at
> org.debian.maven.packager.DependenciesSolver.resolveDependencies(DependenciesSolver.java:611)

at
org.debian.maven.packager.DependenciesSolver.access$000(DependenciesSolver.java:46)
> at
> org.debian.maven.packager.DependenciesSolver$ToResolve.resolve(DependenciesSolver.java:279)

at
org.debian.maven.packager.DependenciesSolver.resolveDependenciesNow(DependenciesSolver.java:568)
> at
> org.debian.maven.packager.DependenciesSolver.solveDependencies(DependenciesSolver.java:448)

at
org.debian.maven.packager.DependenciesSolver.main(DependenciesSolver.java:916)
> [ERROR] Cannot find parent dependency
> org.apache.jena:jena-top:pom:0-incubating, use --no-parent option
> to resolve this issue or install the parent POM in the Maven
> repository [ERROR] Cannot find parent dependency
> org.apache.jena:jena-top:pom:0-incubating, use --no-parent option
> to resolve this issue or install the parent POM in the Maven
> repository [ERROR] Cannot find parent dependency
> org.apache.jena:jena-top:pom:0-incubating, use --no-parent option
> to resolve this issue or install the parent POM in the Maven
> repository [ERROR] Cannot find parent dependency
> org.apache.jena:jena-top:pom:0-incubating, use --no-parent option
> to resolve this issue or install the parent POM in the Maven
> repository ERROR: pom.xml: Dependency is not packaged in the Maven
> repository for Debian: junit:junit:${ver.junit}

Trying another approach, I noticed plexus-cdc referenced as an
exemplar³, and copied bits that looked relevant. This seemed to get me
somewhere, but throws source version errors:

> compile: [mkdir] Created dir:
> /home/alex/debian-packaging/jena-iri/build/generated-sources
> [javac] /usr/share/maven-ant-helper/maven-build.xml:295: warning:
> 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to
> build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds [javac]
> Compiling 43 source files to
> /home/alex/debian-packaging/jena-iri/build/classes [javac]
> /home/alex/debian-packaging/jena-iri/src/main/java/com/hp/hpl/jena/iri/IRI.java:83:
> generics are not supported in -source 1.4 [javac] (use -source 5 or
> higher to enable generics) [javac]     abstract public
> Iterator<Violation> violations(boolean includeWarnings); [javac]
> ^ [javac]
> /home/alex/debian-packaging/jena-iri/src/main/java/com/hp/hpl/jena/iri/IRI.java:394:
> annotations are not supported in -source 1.4 [javac] (use -source 5
> or higher to enable annotations) [javac]     @Override [snip]

I can't work out how to tell it how it to use a more recent source
version.

What I've got so far is at
<https://github.com/alexsdutton/debian-jena-iri>.

Is there documentation I've missed? Where should I go from here?

Kind regards,

Alexander

¹ http://incubator.apache.org/jena/
² http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=563793
³ http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenBuilder

- --
Alexander Dutton
Developer, InfoDev; data.ox.ac.uk, OxPoints
Oxford University Computing Services