issues with maven-{repo,debian}-helper

Hi,

I'm new to Java packaging but I feel I'm already finding some edge cases
that may need looking into by more experienced people; they may even be
bugs.

I'd like to share two issues that caused me some headache.

The package I'm trying to build is called argus-pdp-pep-common, part of
a larger set of packages called ARGUS that comprise a site central
authorization framework used in science grids. Upstream uses maven, so
I've used the maven.mk class in cdbs. Because javahelper has good
support for installing Manifests I'm using that too.

The issue is this: upstream decided to split of a large piece of common
data off the pom.xml into a parent pom. Most importantly, the versions
of all dependencies are listed in the parent, not in the main pom.

The parent could be packaged on its own, but it hardly makes sense to do
so, as it's very much private to the ARGUS system. I chose to put the
parent pom in debian/parent/pom.xml. The <package>.pom file in debian/
lists both:

pom.xml
debian/parent/pom.xml

but this setup never worked. No matter what I tried, the mh_patchpoms
script would always insert <version>debian</version> for every
dependency in the pom, instead of using the correct versions in the
parent pom. This caused some dependencies to fail.

The solution was so simple I nearly pulled my hair out: by reversing the
listing

debian/parent/pom.xml
pom.xml

Things started to work. The documentation about this isn't wrong, but
it's also far from obvious[1].

1. http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenRepoHelper

The second issue has to do with mh_patchpoms. I patched the
<relativePath> of the pom to point to debian/parent/pom. Upon building
with dpkg-buildpackage, this (quilt) patch happens first, then the
mh_patchpoms changes the pom.xml to debianize it. After the package is
completely build, in the final step dpkg-source --after-build comes by
to undo the quilt patch; but at this time, the pom.xml is still the
debianized one and not the one that had the quilt patch (that one is
pom.xml.save). So the build fails at last because the patch won't apply
in reverse.

The solution I found here was to include the following in debian/rules:

binary/libpdp-pep-common-java::
	mh_unpatchpoms -plibpdp-pep-common-java

I'm thinking that this should have been taken care of by maven.mk...

Sorry for the long post, but that's what we get with these technicalities!

Cheers,

Dennis

--
D.H. van Dok :: Software Engineer :: www.nikhef.nl :: www.biggrid.nl