Re: Maven-debian-helper should handle Maven plugin updates automatically

Le mardi 23 août 2011 21:40:36, Torsten Werner a écrit :
> Hi!

Hi Torsten,

> I'd like to get your input on an idea which I have written down at
> <http://debian-java.titanpad.com/1>. I have prepared the detailed
> ideas only for the very first step. What do you think about that?

For interrested readers, you can get background information about this Maven's
choice on Sonatype blog [1].

I've been thinking on something similar for a while but didn't find time to
write down a plan / implement it. So, I think you're right Torsten : this is
the path to follow.

One thing we have to handle carefully is behavior difference form upstream
Maven binary release :
- right now, in Debian, Maven 2 is using a different set of version plugins
than upstream Maven 2 tarball so it cause confusion to user
- maybe we'll have to provide multiple version of core plugins ? just to
ensure we stay compat with upstream...
- Maven 3 will be be better on this by setting less plugin in super-pom and
forcing user to explicitly set plugins version in its pom

So, regarding Maven 3, there is less static version inside super-pom [2]
except for some important plugins of default lifecycle [3]. Maven 3
compatibility-notes explicitly :
"Given the threat of non-reproducible builds imposed by automatic plugin
version resolution, this feature is scheduled for removal as far as plugin
declarations in the POM are concerned. Users of Maven 3.x will find it output a
warning when missing plugin versions are detected to encourage the addition of
plugin versions to the POM or one of its parent POMs. The Enforcer rule
requirePluginVersions can be used additionally check for missing plugin
versions in the POM."
[4]

[1] http://www.sonatype.com/people/2008/04/maven-209-released/
[2] http://javamoods.blogspot.com/2010/10/maven-3-and-plugin-mysteries.html
[3] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/maven-3/trunk/maven-
core/src/main/resources/META-INF/plexus/artifact-
handlers.xml?view=markup&pathrev=1055523
[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/maven-3x-compatibility-
notes.html#Maven3.xCompatibilityNotes-AutomaticPluginVersionResolution

--
Damien - Debian Developper
http://wiki.debian.org/DamienRaudeMorvan