Re: unsupporting Architecture: mips

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> wrote:
> we have discussed the problems with mips in New York at DebConf10 last
> year. I believe it is time to stop supporting Java on this architecture
> because nobody really takes care of it. That is why I want to suggest
> the following radical approach, which needs to be discussed with the
> release team and the mips porters:
>
> - Remove the binary packages built by openjdk-6 on mips.
> - Do no longer built default-jdk/jre/... on mips.

I want to postpone my suggestion since there is some recent activity
on building openjdk on mips and because there was no consensus on that
during Debconf.

> - Keep gcj on mips but don't use it actively for building packages on
> this platform.
> - Remove *-jni and *-gcj packages on mips.

On the other hand there was some consenus that we want some Java 6
like platform as default-jdk and no longer the incomplete Java 5
platform provided by gcj. That is why I want to suggest to

- Remove *-gcj packages on all architectures except for a minimal set
of *-gcj packages that are needed to bootstrap openjdk.

I wonder why ant-gcj is not a Build-Depends of openjdk.

> - Get icedtea-7-jre-jamvm built on kfreebsd-*.

BTW is there any progress on building openjdk on kfreebsd?

Cheers,
Torsten