Re: Dependence on specific versions

On Feb 10, 2011, at 7:50 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Stefane Fermigier <sf@nuxeo.com> writes:
>
>> Only by fixing version numbers of third-party libraries can you be sure
>> that the same build that works today will still work next week, if you
>> redo the build on the exact same version of the sources (and Maven, and
>> Java, of course), any operating system.
>
>> Yes, we do upgrade third-party lib versions from time to time, but only
>> when there is a good reason to ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it").
>
>> BTW: I used to think like you 3-4 years ago when I discovered Maven, but
>> had to change my mind due to the reality.
>
> For those of us who have been doing this sort of thing for a while, this
> argument sounds very familiar.  I've heard this argument applied to C
> libraries, Perl modules, Python modules, and most recently Ruby modules.
> It always sounds persuasive when presented from a stability perspective.
> It has always proven to be completely wrong in the long run.

Please develop, unless you want me to believe you only based on your reputation, which I won't since I don't know you.

  S.

http://www.nuxeo.com/ - +33 1 40 33 79 87 - http://twitter.com/sfermigier
Join the Nuxeo Group on LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/groups?gid=43314
New Nuxeo release: http://nuxeo.com/dm54
"There's no such thing as can't. You always have a choice."