Re: How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Debian

Bonjour Stéphane,

Le mercredi 09 février 2011 à 16:36 +0100, Stefane Fermigier a écrit :
> On Feb 9, 2011, at 4:02 PM, Vincent Fourmond wrote:

> >> we don't accept them into Debian's main component. However they are
> >> acceptable for the non-free component as long as it is allowed to
> >> redistribute them in binary form.
> >
> >  Which excludes all GPLed/LGPLed software.
> >
> >  If all the binary-only JARs in Nuxeo are licensed under a BSD-like
> > license, then it may be suitable for non-free.
> >
> >  If not, you're back to the original problem. This is a *legal* problem.
>
> This is a problem we take seriously, indeed.
[...]

> Regarding JBoss, you seem to be aligned with JBoss AS 4.2.3, when we, OTOH, have switched 6 months ago to JBoss 5.
>
> In both cases, there is a misalignment problem for which solutions need to be devised, tested, and it will certainly take more time to do so, at which time we will probably have moved forward with a new version of Nuxeo with its new set of dependencies...
I know it is not a perfect solution but as upstream developer, I am
using the version provided by Debian.
When I am not happy by a version available in Debian, I either report a
bug asking for a more recent version (which won't work for hibernate but
which could work with JBoss).

On the other side, when a new upstream release is uploaded into Debian,
I will update my software (when it is needed).
If the upstream of a library is regularly breaking the ABI (which is not
uncommon), I will add a check in the build system to make sure that I
will find the exact version of the upstream library I am using (it does
help also other distributions).

Sylvestre