Re: How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Debian

On Feb 9, 2011, at 3:24 PM, Vincent Fourmond wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Stefane Fermigier <sf@nuxeo.com> wrote:
>>> What is not true? The fact that packaging things in Debian is difficult
>>> or the fact that it's so because it requires some added value?
>>
>> No, the fact that it *only* requires "some" added value.
>>
>> You are requiring *much more*. You are requiring upstream developers to *completely change* their development process, dropping maven to use some non-existing tool, renouncing their QA process, etc.
>
>  This is not what we *require*, as you say.

This is what *your policy* requires (as you claim) to get the packages into Debian. What do you think I'm discussing here?

And you don't seem very keen on changing or even discussing those policies, even in the face of serious drawbacks.

> We have policies to accept packages into Debian. These policies
> arise from the Debian Social Contract. If you want to make
> modifications to the Social contract, the correct mailing list is
> debian-project. Be warned however that this will most probably lead to
> nothing
>
>  I don't see what you're trying to get here.

I was trying (based on previous discussions with some Debian / Ubuntu people that this might be possible) to find a concrete solution with you guys, but it seems it won't happen.

I'm also trying to pass a message: you obviously care about packaging Java applications, so aren't you frustrated that this is so hard (I mean, impossible) to do for any significant and useful business application (those that professional Debian users should really care for) with the current rules ?

I, personally, am, as a Debian *user*.

> I for one use private repositories for some
> free software I wrote, since one of the libraries it depends on is
> freely available, and "open source", but its license and copyright
> states are at best unclear, and it is rather huge.

Not sure how you can claim it's "open source" if the license is unclear...

  S.

http://www.nuxeo.com/ - +33 1 40 33 79 87 - http://twitter.com/sfermigier
Join the Nuxeo Group on LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/groups?gid=43314
New Nuxeo release: http://nuxeo.com/dm54
"There's no such thing as can't. You always have a choice."