Re: dynamic Text in package descriptions

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 01:28:59PM +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 02:11:27PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> >  - This make extra load for the translation of this description.
>
> It does and for that reason I'm including debian-i18n in this discussion.
> For the record I support the idea that dynamic descriptions should be
> discouraged unless there is a sound technical reason.

It may well also cause problems for multiarch.  apt supports moving long
descriptions to an architecture-independent Translations-en file, which
makes it significantly more bandwidth-efficient to download Packages
files for multiple architectures.  Obviously this only works correctly
if descriptions are identical across architectures (which is,
fortunately, mostly true).