Re: preferred location for jars vs. symlinks

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:26 AM, tony mancill <tmancill@debian.org> wrote:
> I've noticed that some of the more recent CDBS packages are installing jars
> under /usr/share/maven-repo/$class-hierarchy/$upstream-version/$library.jar, and
> then symlinks in /usr/share/java/ over to ../maven-repo/...
>
> By contrast, javahelper packages will install the jar under /usr/share/java/,
> which is what I think was intended in section 2.3 of Java Policy [0].
>
> Is this an area where we should clarify the policy?  It seems like the actual
> jars should consistently be in one location or another, although maybe there's a
> good reason to do it the other way around when we're dealing with the maven
> repo.  Thoughts?

In my opinion the jars should be installed to /usr/share/java always.
In case of dealing with local maven repo the symlinks should be
created in /usr/share/maven-repo/.
May be the current behavior of maven repo tools is not intentional and
simply some bug.

Regards,
Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.