Re: RFS: RSyntaxTextArea (2nd try, updated)

On 2011-05-08 01:10, Vladimir Kotov wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am still looking for a sponsor for my package "rsyntaxtextarea" (also
> updated to new upstream release).
>
> * Package name : RSyntaxTextArea
>   Version : 1.5.1
>   Upstream Author : Robert Futrell
> * License : LGPL
>   Programming Lang: Java
>   Description : A Java library for the syntax highlighting text editor
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> librsyntaxtextarea-java - Java library for syntax highlighting text
> component
> librsyntaxtextarea-java-doc - Java library for syntax highlighting text
> component (documentation)

> The upload would fix these bugs: 613585.
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is: It is a dependency of
> Syntax Plugin for SQuirreL SQL Client that I am trying to package for
> Debian.

> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/rsyntaxtextarea/rsyntaxtextarea_1.5.1-1.dsc
>
> Debian Java SVN repository:
> Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/rsyntaxtextarea
> Vcs-Browser: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-java/trunk/rsyntaxtextarea/

> Kind regards
>  Vladimir Kotov

Hi

It mostly looks good, I only have couple of comments.  You licensed the
debian packaging (incl. patches) as GPL-2.  This means that upstream
cannot accept your patches without bumping their license to GPL-2, which
will make them less likely to accept patches from us.  Personally I
would recommend using the same terms as upstream itself, but otherwise
please make d/patches/* under LGPL-2.1+, so they can take patches from us.

Secondly the license of rsyntaxtextarea (I hate typing that >.>) is
LGPL-2.1+ (it has the "or any later" clause).

As far as I can tell, rsyntaxtextarea has not been uploaded to Debian
yet, so debian/changelog should only be entry (only with the "* Initial
release"-line).  Though if you have had it rsyntaxtextarea downloadable
from an unofficial APT-repository (e.g. a PPA) or your website, let me
know and we keep both entries.

Last, there is a new standards version 3.9.2 (lintian might not warn
about it because the date line in d/changelog is older than the release
date of the new policy).

~Niels