Re: RFS: jcharts 0.7.5-2

On 2011-05-06 07:49, Onkar Shinde wrote:
> I am looking for sponsorship for jcharts 0.7.5-2. This will fix the
> bug 594270. This revision adds a new -doc package so it will go
> through binary new queue. I have committed the changes in pkg-java
> svn.
> Please note that jcharts uses lot of AWT APIs so we can not remove the
> dependency on java runtime. But this revision makes it possible (at
> least theoretically) to use it with runtimes other than OpenJDK or Sun
> JRE.

Not entirely convinced by this, but I do support the "let the
applications depend on the JRE they need" philosophy.  Nevertheless, if
you do keep the JREs for this package, please add a lintian override
(with rationale) for needless-dependency-on-jre (from lintian 2.5.0~rc3
or newer).
  If it is a general issue with libraries should depend on JREs in
certain cases, please do file a bug against java-common to have the
policy amended.

What about the missing classpath entry in the installed jcharts jar
(missing-classpath tag emitted by lintian 2.5.0~rc3 as well).
  Note lintian has a false-positive tag on the -doc package, which will
be fixed in the next lintian release.

> Latest changelog for reference.
> jcharts (0.7.5-2) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * debian/patches/01_remove_old_functionality.diff
>     - Patch to exclude files that use Sun proprietary APIs and related changes.
>       (Closes: #594270)
>   * debian/control
>     - No need to use only OpenJDK or Sun JDK/JRE now. Updated (build-)deps
>       accordingly.

Unfortunately GCJ appears to choke on the javadoc generation, so we
probably have to keep the B-D as openjdk-6 and use openjdk-6 in
JAVA_HOME (probably with a note in d/rules as to why).
  If you restore sun-java6 as alternative, please remember to make
d/rules pick up the JAVA_HOME for sun-java6 if openjdk-6 is not present.
(otherwise it will FTBFS if openjdk-6 is not installed).

>     - Build against libservlet2.5-java instead of libservlet2.4-java.

Nice

>     - Add libjcharts-java-doc package containing API documentation.

The doc package only needs to recommend the other doc packages; it still
works without them (although without them it will contain broken links)

>     - Update standards version to 3.9.2. No change needed.
>   * debian/rules
>     - Change JAVA_HOME to 'default-jdk' home.
>     - Use servlet-api-2.5 instead of servlet-api in build classpath.
>     - Build javadocs as well.
>   * debian/libjcharts-java-doc.install
>     - Install API documentation at appropriate place.
>   * Convert package to source format 3.0.
>
>  -- Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@ubuntu.com>  Fri, 06 May 2011 10:27:01 +0530

The build complains about "Target clean does not exist" and on a related
note it does appear to fail if you build it twice in a row (at least the
javadoc is not cleaned).

I think that should cover it.

~Niels