Java application depending on binary dependent packages

Hello Java team,

Looking at bug #609152 [1]:

There is a Java application which depends on a JNI library which is
only built on a subset of architectures. A bug has been filed against
the java package because it is un-installable on the architectures
that the JNI library does not exist (since it cannot install the
dependency). Although I remember reading somewhere that such a
dependency is allowed, I cannot find that reference. Is the current
arrangement acceptable, or should this be fixed by making the java
application architecture: any (so it won't build on unavailable
architectures)? I think it is silly to have multiple identical
packages in order to limit the installation to architectures where the
library exists, but that will remove the binary package from affected
architectures.

Thanks, and please CC: the bug and Francesco (the reporter).

Cheers,
Scott