Re: performance of remotely accessed java gui applications

Philipp Huebner wrote:
I've been using sun-java6, because in another case I had problems with
openjdk causing my X to create > 35% of cpu load permanently.

Please file a bugreport with instructions how to reproduce this 35% permanent cpu load issue.
Now, any ideas how to improve that situation?
How can I run java applications like the example above remotely _smoothly_
OpenJDK Icedtea6-1.8 ships with a new xrender backend that are better suited for running heavy GUI applications remote across the network.

Try running your application using Icedtea6-1.8 and the following command line:
java -Dsun.java2d.xrender=True -jar circuit-construction-kit-dc_en.jar

The xrender backend are developed by Clemens Eisserer during the OpenJDK Challenge

You should also check out the video recordings from Fosdem 2009 for a in depth presentation of the xrender java2d pipeline. Its cool.
http://www.archive.org/details/fosdem_2009_free_java_xrender

Clemens work can be followed at:
http://linuxhippy.blogspot.com

Cheers and have a great day!