performance of remotely accessed java gui applications

Hi folks,

I hope that the java experts on this list can give me some useful advice.

During my work of getting a HP ThinClient to work nicely with Debian Edu
Lenny, I found out that the problem was not Xorg or the graphics driver
in use, but Java itself.

For my tests I've been running this application:
http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/sims.php?sim=Circuit_Construction_Kit_DC_Only

Now, when running it locally all the animations as well as dragging
objects somewhere work smoothly.
Running iceweasel (and hence Java) remotely on another machine, it's
hardly usable.

Dragging objects somewhere with the mouse is like flying blind - they
jump in huge steps across the screen.
The animations are slow and juddering.

I tried ssh -X and xdmcp.

I've been using sun-java6, because in another case I had problems with
openjdk causing my X to create > 35% of cpu load permanently.

Now, any ideas how to improve that situation?
How can I run java applications like the example above remotely _smoothly_?

I need to do so for a terminalserver setup.

Kind regards,
--
 .''`.   Philipp Huebner <debalance@debian.org>
: :'  :  pgp fp: 6719 25C5 B8CD E74A 5225  3DF9 E5CA 8C49 25E4 205F