Re: Running solr as non-root user with a custom schema.xml

Hi,

2010/11/13 Bernhard Reiter <ockham@raz.or.at>:
[snip]
> I can run jetty as a non-root user by issuing that command from
> within /usr/share/jetty, but it fails to start solr, as I haven't yet
> found a way to make solr use another datadir than /var/lib/solr/data --
> which is hardcoded in /etc/solr/conf/solrconfig.xml.

AFIK you can always configure solr in multicore [0]. I have
/usr/share/solr/solr.xml with the direferents catalogs I use, non of
them is the one installed with the package.

> I think I might be able to change the latter by having the solr-common
> package change its /etc/solr/conf/solrconfig.xml to read
>
> <dataDir>${solr.data.dir}</dataDir>
>
> instead of
>
> <dataDir>/var/lib/solr/data</dataDir>
>
> and put a solrcore.properties into solr.home
>
> #solrcore.properties
> data.dir=/data/solrindex
>
> ( as seen over at
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrConfigXml#System_property_substitution )
> -- or just pass -Dsolr.data.dir=/data/dir from within some startup
> script.
>
> Would such a modification of solr-common have any chance to be accepted
> by the java team?

I think that a working pach against the current git repo is the first
step to get this on the package. This is just my opinion.

[0] http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin