Re: /usr/lib/jni not put in java.library.path, sun java 5 and 6

tags 382686 patch
thanks

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also don't
> know if a user setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH on their own overwrites our
> java.library.path

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH appends java.library.path, but passing
-Djava.library.path to java overwrites java.library.path [1]

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> wrote:
>> I agree with you we should do that.
>> I had a (too) quick look on this and doing some modifications
>> in /etc/java-6-sun/* might fix this bug.

sun java doesn't use a .properties file to override the system
defaults on start up.  IBM's java does [2], but there is no
corresponding feature in sun java that I can find (and others
apparently can't find it either[3].)

I created a patch (attached) for the debian packaging which replicates
what is done with javaws. I have a template in debian/ which is filled
in to point to the correct directory, then is installed into
/@BASEDIR/jre/bin. The original java binary is moved to java.real and
is called by the wrapper after properly setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH

[1]
import java.util.Properties;
public class javalibraryfinder {

       // low level classpath, includes system jars
       System.out.println( System.getProperty( "java.library.path" ) );

   }

}

showard@s-desktop:~$ java -Djava.library.path=/TEST javalibraryfinder
/TEST

showard@s-desktop:~$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/TEST java javalibraryfinder
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/server:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/../lib/amd64:/TEST:/usr/java/packages/lib/amd64:/usr/lib/jni:/lib:/usr/lib

[2] http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=%2Frzaha%2Fsdpropf.htm
[3] http://echelog.matzon.dk/logs/browse/java/1234393200
#java channel on freenode Feb 12,2009:

[01:43:28] <nog_lorp> is there a way I can configure JVM system
properties globally for Sun Java?
[01:44:11] <nog_lorp> IBMs java docs mentions the
SystemDefault.properties file, but that is not mentioned anywhere by
sun
[01:44:15] <nog_lorp> and doesn't work