Which is the proper directory for user webapps in Tomcat6

I am sure I have a memory in a previous Tomcat package that there was
a directory (other than the direct /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps) that we were
supposed to use to install web apps.  This directory had write permission
from a group (I think), getting around the problem that otherwise everything
has to be installed by root.

I can not find such a directory now, and even if I add people to the tomcat6
group, there is only g+r access, not g+w on the tomcat6/webapps directory.

I could do it online, but I want to automate this into an ant script.

David