Re: Java webapps and configuration files

On Sun Aug 22 17:41, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure that you need to ship them as conffiles though - lots of
> > package have this sort of thing in /usr/share/doc/$package/examples (the
> > jsp) - so you would build a default war from those (on install?) and
> > then users can build their own from the examples if they wanted.
>
> Packages aren't allowed to assume that /usr/share/doc exists, so if we put
> them there, we wouldn't be able to build a WAR file including them on
> install.  Plus, in general, I suspect we're going to want conffile
> semantics for things like this, since some users may have simple needs
> that are satisfied by (at least some of) the default sample files and will
> want to get updates of them applied automatically.

They aren't? Fair enough, I'd missed that. Perhaps somewhere they can assume,
symlinked from doc? The war-file builder could take the defaults from wherever
if they aren't overridden? That would give you the unchanged files semantics,
and I don't think a 3-way merge, should we every implement that, will be very
helpful here

> Here's the default login.jsp file, which should give you an idea of the
> sort of thing upstream is doing here.  As you can see, it's vaguely usable
> as-is, but any site deploying a web authentication system at any scale is
> going to want to make the wording of the page much less generic, include
> local images and graphics, include help text aimed at the local user base,
> and so forth.

Yeah, that's not really something I'd expect to see in etc.

Matt