Re: Java webapps and configuration files

On 08/21/2010 12:19 AM, Torsten Werner wrote:
> BTW I do not like your 3rd option at all. It sounds unsupportable in
> the long run and the local admin has to learn a new tool which is only
> used in Debian and only for Tomcat based apps. We should either use
> some existing solution or something generic one or something that is
> fully automatic and easy to support.

I believe we ought to consider this as just one case of a likely
larger set of use cases of deploying web applications into web
containers. Clearly there more containers than just Tomcat
(and one of reasons few of them are in the archive relate to the
problems Russ has pointed out). It would be nice if we had
a tool that takes a configuration input and generates the
artifacts for Tomcat, Glassfish, or other containers.

Having Debian unique tools which improve deployment hygiene,
are automated and solve a class of Policy problems seems to
be an advantage, not a disadvantage.  For example look at how
the alternatives system solves a problem (and was later emulated
by others). Java administration won't be the same on all
platforms because system administration isn't the same
on all platforms. Windows Java users don't share our values
and simply don't care about hygiene.

It sounds to me like a fully automatic, easy to support,
Debian specific tool -- a Java web application configuration
processor -- that simplifies configuration and deployment for many
potential containers would be a nice solution.

Respectfully,

--Tom