Re: [Recalled] RFS: libservlet2.4-java (supersedes libservlet2.3-java)

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
<snip>
> That would be ideal, but this is a package in poor shape in contrib. It
> uses non of its Build-Depends (except ant and java), so you could just
> trim out the B-Ds, however, I do not really want to do a "half-done"
> upload of it.
>
> I have imported the package to git [1] and started working on it. As far
> as I can tell we do not have "jrcs-diff.jar" which is needed. We also
> need some other libraries, but so far I have ignored those (since there
> were code snippets in d/rules to build jspwiki without these).
>  There is also a new upstream release of jspwiki - I do not know if it
> would make the situation better or worse. The current jspwiki compiles
> against servlet2.5.
>
> Anyhow, feel free to help me with this one - it would be really great to
> get rid of servlet2.3 before Squeeze.
>
> Note: Even if we get jspwiki into shape it will stay in contrib due to
> jabsorb, which we had to move to non-free (upstream have been notified
> about it).

I deployed jspwiki at work for our team's internal use. So I am still
exploring it.
What I found out that jrcs used to be a component of Apache Commons
project. But it is now moved to codehaus. [1] But looking at the
project on codehaus [2] it is clear that the project is not being
maintained at all.

Looking at some pages on jspwiki wiki it seems that jrcs is not being
used now and the old rcs mechanism is deprecated. [3] The wiki also
states that java's internal diff routines are being used now. So it
should be possible to get read of jrcs. I will check at work tomorrow
to see what page versioning mechanism is used by default.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/dormant/jrcs/trunk/STATUS.html
[2] http://xircles.codehaus.org/projects/jrcs
[3] http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/RCSFileProvider

Cheers,