New section for 'Building Java Packages' (relating to [RFC: update to our website (on Alioth)])

On 2010-07-14 18:52, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I've looked a bit at our "website" [1] : I finally understood why all
> newcommers are using pkg-java-maintainers list instead of debian-java :)
>
> I have compiled tree patches against the current website that I intend to
> apply Friday assuming there are no objections.
>
> 01_debian_java_mailinglist.diff : Recommend usage of debian-java mailing list
> when looking for support under pkg-java umbrella.
>
> 02_git_repository.diff: Add a link to our GIT repositories list
>
> 03_remove_package_list.diff: Remove outdated package list on our index page
>
> [1] http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/
>
> Cheers,

Hi,

I would like to propose an additional section on the 'Building Java
Packages in Debian' webpage regarding the available helpers.

I recently started packaging a java application [1] and since I'm new
to this process I stumbled across 'Building Java Packages in Debian'
[2] on the alioth website.

A nice additional section on that webpage would be an overview of the
helper packages, their current state, and if some are preferred for
java packaging (with build systems like ant or maven).

For instance, in my case upstream uses maven as build system.
From what I found on [3], [4], [5] I'm not quite sure what's the best
way to use maven for package building.

Using javahelper(1), jh_makepkg creates a rules file using
mvn-debian(1).  However the man page of mvn-debian(1) says:

'Please do not use it for building real Debian packages because
there are cdbs snippets available with more features and less bugs.'

However, cdbs documentation [6] has no entries on the maven features.
The section 'Packaging Java applications' [7] only deals with ant.
Therefor, for the not so enlightened, it is hard to proceed.

Going with the mh_* tools from maven-repo-helper seems to be a
good way.  However, apart from [8] and [4] I was not able to find
more documentation.  Especially, mh_* seems to be tuned for building
maven libs and I did not find the magic words to use it for java
application packaging.

To make a long story short.  A list on the available helpers, their
current status and a link on how they should be used (or not) would
be a great help for novices.

Thanks,
	Alex

[2] http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/building.html