Re: RFS: eclipselink (new package, needed to package Spring Framework 3.0)

Niels Thykier wrote:
> Hi
Hi Niels,

> The changelog on git and on mentors differ (the former still have
> "UNRELEASED") - you may want to have the same release both on git and on
> mentors, since some sponsors checkout the git rather than using mentors.

They differ because mentors reject uploads not targeted to unstable.
Beyond that, what is in mentors and git is identical.
Usually the changelog is changed by me or my sponsor when the package is
uploaded to the archive.

> When it comes to eclipse, then Class-Path entries are ignored. Eclipse
> uses its own ClassLoaders, which only care about the OSGi metadata. I
> suspect the culprit is the OSGi standard and not eclipse in itself, but
> nevertheless this is the sad truth.
>   Without relevant OSGi metadata in the jar and /all/ of its
> dependencies, eclipse either not bother looking at the jar or claim it
> is unable to find the dependencies.
>
> Furthermore, eclipse generally do not look at /usr/share/java (or
> /usr/lib/java for that matter), it only looks in subdirs of
> /usr/lib/eclipse. I am not entirely sure how/when/where it looks, but in
> eclipselink case, we will need to ship the respective feature files (of
> course, these are not available in their source zip either).
>
> I will not rule out that this package is useful on its own as it as
> (e.g. in case someone links directly against it), but eclipse will not
> pick it up.
>   If this is useful on its own, you may want to create a "library only"
> version and a "eclipse integration" version of this package.

Yes, I packaged EclipseLink from the perspective of using it on its own.
In fact, the upstream binary release is packaged in the same way: one jar with
all the code and some external jars with dependences.

I like the idea of create a package meant to be integrated with Eclipse.
I will investigate how to integrate this properly with Eclipse.
Also, you are more than welcome to branch EclipseLink repo and contribute.

By now, IMHO a library only version is useful, since some components of the
Spring Framework 3.0 link with EclipseLink.

Miguel Landaeta, miguel at miguel.cc
secure email with PGP 0x7D8967E9 available at http://keyserver.pgp.com/