packaging insighttoolkit java wrappers; advice sought

Hi,

I maintain ITK (package insighttoolkit [1]), a library that provides
toolkit for segmentation, registration, and general image analysis.
It's written in C++, with generated wrappers for tcl, python, and
java.

I've been prodded to package the java wrappers.  I'd love some
guidance from this crowd to avoid the newbie mistakes.

The package I seek to create will contain several java libraries.  I'm
not packaging a program, nor a compiler, runtime, etc.  My first
question: is the policy document [2] sufficiently up-to-date for my
needs?

By this, I mean is the advice in Section 2.4 still valid?  The C++
library SOVERSION is 3, so the C++ library package name is
libinsighttoolkit3-dev.  The java wrappers contain both jni code and
java classes.  Given this, I should create two packages named
libinsighttoolkit3-jni and libinsighttoolkit3-java, right?  The
upstream sources create a jar named InsightToolkit.jar.  In the -java
package, shall I rename the jar InsightToolkit-3.18.0.jar with a
symlink InsightToolkit.jar -> InsightToolkit-3.18.0.jar?

There is no "dh_java".  Are there any packaging scripts that might
help me?  Is there a good example package that I can learn from?

Thanks,
-Steve

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/insighttoolkit.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/