Re: Recommends relation of libxxx-java-gcj packages

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com> wrote:
> doko had mentioned that -gcj packages offer performance improvements
> on architectures where JIT compiler is not present in JRE.

But nobody is doing Java development today on architectures without a
JIT compiler. The buildds aren't affected because they are installing
neither Suggests nor Recommends.

> Considering that OpenJDK (which has JIT) is available on most
> architecture these days I also support moving -gcj packages to
> 'Suggests'.

Counting the votes from the list and the bug reports: 7 votes for
Suggests and 1 vote for Recommends.

I think we SHOULD have a package relation of 'Suggests' but we MAY use
'Recommends' for individual packages if there are good reasons.
(SHOULD and MAY as in RFC 2119)

BTW, there are some packages without a relation. They should be fixed.

Cheers,
Torsten