Re: [Jabref-users] why jabref depends on openjdk-6-jre on Debian system?

  Hello

 (disclaimer: I am not the Jabref Debian maintainer)

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Egon Willighagen
<egon.willighagen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Marcelo Laia <marcelolaia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> marcelo@laia:~$ sudo aptitude show jabref
>> Pacote: jabref
>> Depends on: openjdk-6-jre, antlr, antlr3, libjgoodies-looks-java,
>>            libjgoodies-forms-java, libspin-java, libglazedlists-java,
>>            libmicroba-java, libpdfbox-java, libjempbox-java (>= 0.2.0),
>>            java-wrappers (>= 0.1.6), libmysql-java, libcommons-logging-java,
>>            libjpf-java, libjpfcodegen-java, velocity (>= 1.5)
>
> traditionally, dependencies were defined like (see Debian Java Policy):
>
> java2-runtime | openjdk-6-jre
>
> so that aptitude (or dpkg) would be happy if you already had a Java
> .deb installed providing java2-runtime.
>
> Now, that obviously does not work if you installed a non-deb version
> of Java, e.g. in /usr/local, but I am also not sure why the
> java2-runtime alternative is missing... I have been out of the Debian
> Java loop for quite a long time now, and cc-ed the list, hoping they
> can provide further information.

  Jabref depends on openjdk-6-jre because I don't think it works with
other free Java implementations. If you want that it works with the
non-free sun packages (which are more-or-less obsolete now in Debian
anyway ), you should file a Debian bug for Jabref. I'm sure the
maintainer would consider that.

  In general, it is better to file bug reports for problems about
specific packages rather than contact debian-java (or any other
"general" mailing list); this way, you are sure to reach the
maintainer.

  Cheers,

      Vincent