Re: batik and squiggle...

Vincent,

Here is an update on this issue.

For trying to solve the issue I went through the documentation about
java security manager and the configuration of security policy files.
After reading for a while and trying few things I found out that it
was possible to launch squiggle with pointer to a security.policy file
which specified the permissions for the code e.g. net access,
directory read write permissions.
Then I remembered that you had mentioned on the Debian bug that
upstream distribution works without problem. Turns out that it already
ships a security policy file which has all permissions defined. The
file is present in batik-all-1.7.jar as well and it is loaded by the
main class in squiggle. But the reason it was not working is because
the paths mentioned in the file were not as per our installation
paths.

So all in all, patching the file to specify correct paths worked. :-)
The change is uploaded to batik's latest version in Ubuntu's jaunty -
https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/batik
In case you are impatient, please feel free to port this change to
Debian as I might not get time today to do it myself.

Cheers,
Onkar