Re: Looking for somewhere to help

If you upload a new version, then you can add yourself to Uploaders,
otherwise build this package as an NMU.

Consider joining the pkg-java team
(http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-java/), request membership to one
of the project admins (Torsten Werner or other).

Can you tell us which tutorials said such things, maybe they should be
updated.

Ludovic