Versioned Dependencies (Was: Re: libjgrapht0.6-java_0.6.0-7_amd64.changes is NEWW)

On Wed Sep 02 08:46, Michael Koch wrote:
> IMO a possible solution would be to have two (or more) packages and let other
> packages using jgrapht (Build-)Depend on the version they need. E.g. libjgrapht-java
> could always be the latest API and libjgrapht0.6-java is an older API which some
> apps can use. Only one of these packages may provide the jgrapht.jar link as otherwise
> we would need conflicts between the packages. When an app needs an older version
> of jgrapht it needs to explicitely reference the versioned jar (which would not be a bad
> idea anyhow as we otherwise force FTBFS on libjgrapht-java API updates).

This is better, but causes an FTBFS / broken package whenever a package
was fine with any version but suddenly discovers that it's broken with
the new one. I'd like to see a coherent policy across all of the Java
libraries which allows more coordinated transitions, possibly aided by
binnmus and library packages maintaining two versions in the archive for
a while to ease the transitions.

Discussion on the previous thread seems to have died out, but we should
come up with a strategy before it becomes too late in this release
cycle.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson