How to handle original source tarball

Hello,

I'm trying to get my first packaging work done, but I'm not very
familiar with packaging process yet, so I'd like to ask some
questions, please:

I commited all debian/* files to SVN repository, but what about
original (new upstream release) source tarball?

Should I commit this orig tarball to SVN too?

I was investigating some of the existing packages in repository (e.g.
checkstyle) and found 'get-orig-source' section in rules. Is this
preferred way to handle original source?

Thanks for advice.

Dominik Smatana