building class path from package list

Hello,
I wonder what the right way of building the classpath from a list of
packages is? I see that there are symlinks in /usr/share/java/ and it
seems I have to hardcode paths to these?

if so then something must be done. some problems:
* I have to keep track of jar-jar dependencies instead of having this
responsibility stay in the package of the java library
* if the jar files split in a package, the symlink solution will not
work and all upstream packages break

the correct solution is a script like pkg-config that generates the
classpath. gentoo has this, java-config, and I propose that this design
along with the metadata file format is copied into debian ie we will
have something like /usr/share/java/mylibrary.cp with dependencies.

because every java package would have to be updated I propose to speed
up the process that the initial java-config.deb will contain .cp2-files
of the most common java libraries. whenever there is no .cp-file, the
.cp2-file will be used. thus there will be no conflicts when the java
library packages finally add their own .cp-files.

I will get working on this if the proposal is supported.

/Johan Henriksson