Question concerning patched jars

Hi everybody,

in jbossas we have got lots of jars that are built from source by the JBoss people upstream with patches applied to them. So they are nearly the same as the ones we have in our own packages except for the patches which are needed for the jars to work with jbossas.

The JPackage people have the following solution: They include the JBoss patches into their source and produce two independent non-conflicting binary packages from the same source package:
- one unpatched for general use (that goes into /usr/share/java) and
- one for jbossas (which goes into /usr/share/java/repository.jboss.com/) together with some metadata about the jar that is used by jbossas and the patch applied (for documentation).

IMO maintainability is ok with this solution as both binaries are built from the same source package. This however comes at the price of some wasted space and largely redundant files being installed on the system.

What do you think about that? Could I follow the JPackage solution (which would allow me to reuse much of their work) or do you see difficulties with this?

Florian