Questions about batik 1.7 update

Hi all,

For some time I have been trying to package batik 1.7 for Ubuntu
Intrepid.[1] In the process I have packaged it's dependency
xml-commons-external.[2]

I have done repackaging of upstream source in similar manner to how it
was done for 1.6, with svn export from fop. But some doubts were
discussed in #ubuntu-motu on which we would like to have your inputs.

1. Should the code downloaded by svn export go as patch instead of
inside repackaged source?
2. If the answer to above is 'it should go in repackaged source', then
what should be the version? Should it contain .dfsg or +svn?

[1] - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/batik/+bug/150484
[2] - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/xml-commons-external

Onkar