Developing with Java on Debian

This is a bit of a newby question.

What I'm wondering is whether one can use the debian package system as
a kind of build system. Let me illustrate with an example, say for
example I want to write an app and package it with debian and this app
uses Hibernate, then I would like to declare a dependency on the
hibernate libary package and start developing in eclipse right away.

Right now I see that hibernate is available as a library package that
has put jars in /usr/share/java. If I depend on these jars and write a
unit test I discover that there are more dependencies, I need some of
the apache commons libraries and the log4j library, but I can't see
those as dependencies.

I'm guessing what I want is a vanilla java library debian source
package and a plugin for eclipse that understands how to read the
build dependencies, but I would not like to have to rediscover the
dependencies of the hibernate, they should have been specified by the
package maintainer for that system, and I should get them for free.

I would also be nice to be able to get the source in a package called
for example: libhibernate3-java-dev or libhibernate3-java-dbg that
would make go-to-definition work much better in eclipse.

Is any of this possible with Debian? What should I be reading? Are
there examples I can look at? Are there forums where the strategy for
java and debian is being discussed?