Re: RFS: various packages

On Tue May 29 16:44, Paul Cager wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 2:32 pm, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> > Hi, I'm looking for sponsors for various packages, but none of the DDs I
> > know are happy about uploading Java packages. So, is there anyone on
> > this list who could review and upload some Java packages for me.
> > [...]
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Matt
>
> I'm not a DD so cannot sponsor your packages, but I can have a look at
> some of them if you would find that helpful.
>
> A couple of general comments:

Any comments are good.

> 1)  I'm having some trouble downloading your packages (failures to connect
> / aborted connections). It worked after a few attempts, but I thought you
> might want to know about it.

Hmm, thanks, I've not seen a problem, but I was doing a lot of disk
activity to the NFS server about then, which may have caused it.

> 2)  Would you be interested in team maintenence of these packages? I think
> you might find joining the Java Packaging Team interesting.

Well, I'm pretty happy maintaining these myself, but I am quite
interested in the general Java-Debian scene and I'm subscribed to the
mailing list already.

(reordered for combining things with the same answer)

> 4)  I think your copyright file needs to be expanded (e.g. have a look at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html). Also
>  some of your files are *L*GPL, which isn't clear from the copyright file.
> (I know you're the upstream author and owner of the copyrights, but these
> ftp-masters are tough people).

Oops, good point (-: (of course I can always re-licence LGPL to GPL even
if I'm not the copyright holder, but I'd forgotten I'd licenced them
LGPL originally)

> 3) "libmatthew-java" doesn't sound quite right to me. Just my own personal
> preference, I guess, but I'd prefer to see a library named after its
> purpose, rather than its author.
>
> 5)  Is there some confusion over version numbers? E.g. upstream version
> appears to be 0.4, but the io jar is installed as io-0.1.jar. The "debug"
> package contains a mixture of 0.1 and 1.1 versions. UnixSockets is version
> 0.2.
>
> 6)  I'm a bit uneasy about the generality of your Jar names, e.g. io.jar
> and unix.jar. These names sound too fundamental to me. Again this could
> just be my own bias, but I'd expect something called "unix.jar" to be a
> very substantial collection of Unix functions.

Well, I've several small (only a few classes) libraries with different
purposes. I didn't think it was worth a separate source package for
each, therefore there isn't really an overall purpose for the library as
a whole. The _binary_ packages do have more appropriate names
(libunixsocket-java, libcgi-java etc). The ones which are too generic
and likely to clash are qualified with libmatthew$something-java because
someone else said that calling mine libdebug-java would be likely to
clash. I don't really know what else to do with the names.

This is also why the versions are out of sync; I'd like to be able to
keep track of the versions of each one separately, whereas the whole
source also needs a version.

> I can have a more detailed look tonight or tomorrow, if you'd like me to.
> Hopefully there might be a DD around by then, who can have a proper look.

Sure, thanks,

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson