Re: Getting Maven Into Main - What Next?

On Friday May 25 2007, Paul Cager wrote:

> I have practically no experience with Maven (yet!), so it's good to
> meet someone who is active with it. Would you be interested in
> getting involved with the testing of any packaging we produce? We'd
> do some basic testing, of course, but it would be nice if there was
> testing against "real world" projects.

Yeah. For sure. I could at least build it against my project (large
JEE project with lots of subprojects using all sorts of plugins). I
am currently using the upstream version as well as Michael Kochs
package. Both are fine.

> Just to summarise what I understand to be plans for Maven:
>
> Firstly we want to package maven itself, so that users can
> "aptitude install maven",

aptitude install maven2
I assume...

> and Maven will work just as though the
> users had downloaded and installed it manually.

> >>     * Create a local repository for Maven, e.g.
> >> debian/.m2/repository. For each build-dependency create the
> >> appropriate directory structure (e.g.
> >> debian/.m2/repository/plexus/plexus-utils/1.0.2/).
> >
> > I would actually suggest to start building a debian build server
> > internal maven repository.
>
> Debian imposes quite strict (but sensible) rules on how its
> packages can be built. One restriction is that the package must be
> able to be built from source, without downloading anything (except
> other packages from the Debian archive). This is the "desert island
> test" [1], and probably disallows access to a standard maven
> repository. This is why I am proposing creating a temporary  local
> repository (on the build machine) each time a package is built.

I understand that restriction. I was actually proposing to create a
debian private repo as part of the Debian archive into which all
maven packages and dependencies go as well as into which all future
packages can get their artifacts into and use others from there.

I look forward to the progress. I wish I could help more but time is
very short at the moment... at least I hope to be able to help by
giving my input.

manfred
--
Manfred Moser