Re: Getting Maven Into Main - What Next?

Manfred Moser wrote:
On Friday May 25 2007, Paul Cager wrote:
Now that we are making progress with packaging Maven's
..

Hi Paul and all,

Just fyi I am an active Maven and long time Debian/Ubuntu user with very little packaging know how....

I have practically no experience with Maven (yet!), so it's good to meet someone who is active with it. Would you be interested in getting involved with the testing of any packaging we produce? We'd do some basic testing, of course, but it would be nice if there was testing against "real world" projects.

Just to summarise what I understand to be plans for Maven:

Firstly we want to package maven itself, so that users can "aptitude install maven", and Maven will work just as though the users had downloaded and installed it manually. Secondly we want to be able to use Maven within the Debian packaging system to package upstream projects that use Maven.

At the moment I am concentrating on the first objective only.

First I want to recommend two resources (both free)

The books

Better Builds with Maven
http://www.mergere.com/m2book_download.jsp

Maven: The Definitive Guide (1.0 Alpha 1)
http://www.sonatype.com/book/index.html

Great! Once the children are in bed I'll get reading.

    * Create a local repository for Maven, e.g.
debian/.m2/repository. For each build-dependency create the
appropriate directory structure (e.g.
debian/.m2/repository/plexus/plexus-utils/1.0.2/).

I would actually suggest to start building a debian build server internal maven repository.

Debian imposes quite strict (but sensible) rules on how its packages can be built. One restriction is that the package must be able to be built from source, without downloading anything (except other packages from the Debian archive). This is the "desert island test" [1], and probably disallows access to a standard maven repository. This is why I am proposing creating a temporary local repository (on the build machine) each time a package is built.

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-repositories.html
The repository should only contain packages that are in debian. Maven could actually deploy artifacts to the repo as part of the build process.

Yes, once we have Maven available as a Debian package, we will have to look at this sort of thing.

To run maven in offline mode there is a -o flag.

Thanks - that's one we will need.

It might be a good idea to create a "company" pom for Debian that contains all settings and so on that apply to all Debian packages that are build with Maven. Otherwise a debian profile in a settings.xml could achieve similar things.

Notes, thanks.

I am sure the maven team could be of great help. I told Jason at Java One that the Debian team is packaging Maven and he was astonished and delighted. He or somebody else might be able to give a good tip here and there.

I hope this helps a bit.
manfred

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Paul

[1] http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html