Re: A Java Packaging Wishlist

On Tuesday May 22 2007, Paul Cager wrote:
> manfred@mosabuam.com wrote:
> > I will some more:
> >
> > - Support Maven builds and be able to read dependencies from the
> > maven pom.xml file and translate them to the debian control file
> > entries for dependencies and run dependencies.
>
> The maven pom certainly contains lots of the information you need
> to create a Debian package - dependencies, authors, licenses etc.
>
> By the way, I wasn't quite sure how you were suggesting this
> information should be used:
>
> - at package *creation* time (i.e. when you first create the
> debian/rules, debian/copyright files etc, possibly using dh_make)
>
> - at package *build* time (e.g. when you run debuild).
>
> I think using the information at package *creation* time is a good
> idea; I listed a few ideas in my original email. The automatic
> tools would create a skeleton packaging which could be amended by
> the packager.

That was mostly what I was thinking of. Potentially it could also be
run on updates from upstream. That might be a bit harder. In an ideal
world a java developer that has no idea about packaging could use
some sort of maven plugin that actually uses all this and creates a
debian package... that might be a hard level to get to though.

> But I'm not so sure about dynamically generating dependency
> information at package build time. Did you see the discussion
> earlier this month about "java dependency substvars"?

I missed that discussion. I do assume that with some sort of lookup
list of "debian" approved/included dependencies even that might be
possible. Certainly something to be considered as a second step once
the creation time works ;-)
--
Manfred Moser
http://www.mosabuam.com