Re: icedtea status?

2007/12/29, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know what is holding the Ubuntu icedtea package out of
> Debian? Are the licence issues still a problem? I see there is some
> packaging in SVN.

I don't know how is working on icedtea/openjdk on Debian but AFAIK,
there are a lot of licenses and they must be all analysed.

> I'm watching the Lenny freeze slowly approaching and wondering if
> Debian will see OpenJDK/IcedTea packages early enough for all those
> contrib Java-based packages to move to main.

Icedtea/OpenJDK will only solve the move to main for x86 and x64
arches. There is a port from Gary Benson on PowerPC (only in
interpreter mode at the moment and it's barely usable for applications
like eclipse) but AFAIK Icedtea/OpenJDK will not run on other arches
(maybe it can run on sparc but I'm not sure).

> Also, is icedtea appropriate to have in a stable release, or should
> only OpenJDK be in stable?
>
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2007-December/000810.html

Icedtea == OpenJDK but built entirely with free software.

OpenJDK is a work in progress, so it's not as stable as JDK6.

> In any case it would be nice to have IcedTea in experimental at least.

IceTea/OpenJDK will not break anything, it could be in unstable.

--
Arnaud Vandyck