Re: Using java-gcj-compat-dev as build dependency

On Dec 20, 2007 3:47 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> Onkar Shinde writes:
>  > On Dec 20, 2007 3:23 PM, Arnaud Vandyck <avandyck@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > 2007/12/19, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com>:
>
>  > > > I am a java developer who is learning debian packaging these days. I
>  > > > am trying to fix some FTBFS of java related packages in Ubuntu.
>  > > >
>  > > > Some recent observations:
>  > > > 1. I am not sure about Debian but in Ubuntu Sun JDk packages can not
>  > > > be installed non-interactively and this causes buold failures.
>  > > > 2. For many packages adding java-gcj-compat-dev to 'Build-Depends' is
>  > > > the first and only thing needed for fixing FTBFS.
>  > > >
>  > > > Is there any policy regarding which compiler to use.
>  > >
>  > > java-gcj-compat-dev is used to build *free* java package because it
>  > > was the free java alternative and was a primary choice in
>  > > Debian/Ubuntu (and I think Fedora).
>  > >
>  > > I suppose OpenJDK will not require user interaction and I suppose
>  > > OpenJDK will be the first choice in a near future.
>  > >
>  > > You can replace the JDK with java-gcj-compat-dev if you are sure the
>  > > software can be built and can run with java-gcj-compat-dev. In other
>  > > cases, you'll have to leave Sun's JDK.
>  >
>  > Right. That is my point. It looks like the packagers use Sun JDK as
>  > build dependency without trying to build with GCJ.
>  > So if there is any written policy or instruction on wiki that clearly
>  > states order of preference as gcj - icedtea - Sun JDK, it will solve
>  > many problems.
>
> It would help to know if there really is a problem building with gcj.
> If there is, and it's a gcj bug, we could look at that.  Otherwise you
> might be limited to running on only OpenJDK, which greatly restricts
> the systems you can run on.

I would say this is partially incorrect statement.
Using openjdk/icedtea as build dependency doesn't necessarily mean
that you have you use only corresponding JRE for running applications.

If the application uses only Java 1.5 (the common denominator these
days) code features then we can make sure that it runs on Sun JRE by
passing '-target 1.5' argument to compiler. This way even if you use
openjdk for build dependency you can still use Sun JRE as runtime
dependency. I have no idea about GIJ compliance with Java 1.5 APIs so
I will not comment about that.

Regards,
Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.