Re: Using java-gcj-compat-dev as build dependency

2007/12/19, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a java developer who is learning debian packaging these days. I
> am trying to fix some FTBFS of java related packages in Ubuntu.
>
> Some recent observations:
> 1. I am not sure about Debian but in Ubuntu Sun JDk packages can not
> be installed non-interactively and this causes buold failures.
> 2. For many packages adding java-gcj-compat-dev to 'Build-Depends' is
> the first and only thing needed for fixing FTBFS.
>
> Is there any policy regarding which compiler to use.

java-gcj-compat-dev is used to build *free* java package because it
was the free java alternative and was a primary choice in
Debian/Ubuntu (and I think Fedora).

I suppose OpenJDK will not require user interaction and I suppose
OpenJDK will be the first choice in a near future.

You can replace the JDK with java-gcj-compat-dev if you are sure the
software can be built and can run with java-gcj-compat-dev. In other
cases, you'll have to leave Sun's JDK.

Arnaud Vandyck