Re: Creating Packages for FOSS Java GIS Applications

[Redefined Horizons]
> After reading through the Debian Java Policy I believe that I need
> to place the main JAR for OpenJUMP in /user/bin/openjump. I also
> realize I need to create separate Debian packages for the Java
> libraries that OpenJUMP stores in /lib, and that the JARs for these
> packages should be stored in /usr/share/java.

I do not believe you need to create separeate debian packages for the
java jar file that openjump consist of.  It is not a library, it is an
application.  It just happen to consist of several .jar files.

> I'm not sure about two (2) things:
>
> [1] Where do I put the plugins? Do they stay in /user/share/java or do
> they go somewhere else? They aren't really libraries, they are like
> mini-exectuables, but they are pacakged in separate JARs.

/usr/share/java/ sound ok, but as they are not really libraries, I
would store them in /usr/share/openjump/ or /usr/lib/openjump/
instead.

> [2] How do I ensure that the required libraries are on the Java
> Classpath that OpenJUMP needs? At this time we just add the /lib
> folder to the classpath in the launch script, but I'm not sure how I
> would accomplish this if the libraries are scattered around in
> different folders in /usr/share/java.

Not sure about that.

> I hope these questions don't seem foolish. I've been using Debian
> for a couple years now, but there is still a lot I don't know about
> Linux.  I've also never made a Debian package of my own.

Nothing foolish about the question.  But note that /user/ and /usr/ is
not the same thing.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen