Re: Reg. Apache Excalibur

On 23/08/07, Paul Cager wrote:
> There is also what I hope will eventually become the official Maven2
> package:
>
>   http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/m/maven2/
>
> I believe this is nearly finished (and would appreciate feedback on it).
> If you install this package you should get a working Maven2 system - and
> if it doesn't work I would like to know!

I think I should now move here, and make Excalibur a later target.

> This isn't the same thing as being able to use Maven to build other
> Debian packages, such as excalibur. When Maven runs it downloads a
> multitude of Jars, which wouldn't be allowed when building a Debian
> package. All of these Jars need to be packaged in Debian.

I fully understand this, and will try to help out.

Your package is lintian clean, and many will love it if it finally
enters Debian.

So first, I tried mvn -o -npu install. It complains that

"The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin' does not
exist or no valid version could be found".

So, I need to install the required maven plugins for this. I saw that
a source jar exists in the Maven website, and (I don't know much Java)
setting the CLASSPATH and hand compiling it makes the .class files
from the source jar. Now, I wanted to know how these things:

Would you want me to package the plugin (attempt to, that is, and
attempt further requirements as well)? What policy do you want to use
for naming etc.? Also, since it has just a few sources in a jar, what
is the recommended way? Do you want me to write a build.xml and
Debianize it, and try to make it play with maven 2?

Thanks for the help. And let's move to a new thread, if you don't mind.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,
458, Jamuna Hostel,