Re: [Debian Wiki] Update of "Java" by HenningSprang

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 01:27:22PM +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:
> Michael Koch wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 12:28:09PM +0200, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> >> Am I missing something? Isn't Sun's Java 6 in Debian still in non-free?!
> > It is. And it will never move to main. Someone should revert this change
> > to old text which is more clear, IMO.
>
> Please look at the Wiki page the edited sentence described, first.
>
> The link this sentence is describing is not about Java 6 in particular,
> and the link to NonFree was broken, so I removed it, and made the
> sentence  more generic.
>
> The OpenJDK the linked page is describing will not be in non-free for a
> very long time, I guess, but in contrib, I guess?

There is still a long road to get this into main. Many legal issues need
to be solved first.

> It might a different case with a binary distribution of suns jdk (will
> that be available as deb in parallell toi the really gpl free jdk?)
>

> Tell me what you think and I'll change it to fit your tastes -
> currently, saying "it is in Debian" is not exactly wrong.

It is. Quoting the Debian Policy:

"Packages in the other distribution areas (contrib, non-free) are not
considered to be part of the Debian distribution, although we support
their use and provide infrastructure for them (such as our bug-tracking
system and mailing lists)."

Cheers,
Michael
--