Re: GNU/Linux Java Policy and Packaging

Marcus Better kirjoitti:
> Petteri Räty wrote:
>>> I think we will need something similar to the shlibs system, no?
>
>> Well why would they be any different for a binary distribution?
>
> I don't know how Gentoo works, but it's not enough for us to know which ABI
> version of a particular dependency we need, we also need the mapping of
> that ABI to Debian packages to avoid upgrade problems.

So you install to /usr/share/<pkg> as you need to have the ABI in the
package name when you don't have something like slots. Our current
scheme of <pkg>-<slot> has served as well so far.

> For instance, if libfoo releases version 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1, where the ABI
> changes at 2.0, then a package built against libfoo 2.1 should get a
> versioned dependency on libfoo >= 2.0. That information has to be stored
> somewhere, i.e., a shlibs file, so that the build process can figure it
> out.
>
> (Or am I missing something?)

I thought you can't have two versions of a package installed at the same
time in Debian? If the ABI changes between 1.0 and 2.0, they would be
two different packages. This requires of course that there is stuff that
requires both versions to be present. Hopefully someone with Debian Java
experience can comment on that this one (Hi avdyk , man-di, etc :) ).

Regards,
Petteri