Re: GNU/Linux Java Policy and Packaging

Marcus Better kirjoitti:
> Petteri Räty wrote:
>> We solved this by installing to /usr/share/<pkg>-<slot> where slot is
>> roughly the ABI (we increase it every time a new version breaks
>> something using the library).
>
> For a binary distribution like Debian there are other issues, for instance
> *how to generate dependencies on the correct package versions when building
> packages,
> *how to make sure that dependents use the correct library version at
> run-time.
>
> I think we will need something similar to the shlibs system, no?

Well why would they be any different for a binary distribution? If
anything it's easier for you. To put it simply you are just bundling
what the ebuild src_install produces. Any way I wrote javaldd which you
could adapt to Debian to automatically generate dependencies. The way we
do it is to run a verifier when you install the ebuild in developer mode
for calls like:

        java-pkg_jar-from xerces-2 xercesImpl.jar

Then there is the javaldd tool I wrote (but it relies on Gentoo infra
quite heavily atm):

betelgeuse@pena ~ $ javaldd azureus
swt-3
|| ( cocoon jboss log4j  )
bcprov
|| ( cocoon commons-cli-1  )

This shows that we have some work still to do on removing bundled stuff
from things like jboss and cocoon.

Regards,
Petteri