Getting Maven Into Main - What Next?

Now that we are making progress with packaging Maven's
Build-Dependencies, I'm beginning to wonder what happens next. I've
noticed from the JavaCC packaging that it seems to be all right to
include a "bootstrap jar" in the upstream source. Is this right? I guess
to be valid:

   * When building the package a new Jar must be built (from source)
that could replace the bootstrap Jar.

   * There must be no licensing issues around distributing the bootstrap
Jar.

If so then should we create the Maven package by bootstrapping?

    * Maven build-depends on wagon, plexus, doxia etc.

    * Create a local repository for Maven, e.g. debian/.m2/repository.
For each build-dependency create the appropriate directory structure
(e.g. debian/.m2/repository/plexus/plexus-utils/1.0.2/).

    * Copy (or symlink) the build-depends jars from /usr/share/java to
our repository. This should ensure that maven does not try to download
any dependencies. (I imagine maven also has an option to inhibit
downloads; it would be safest to set this, and/or set http_proxy).

    * Set "localRepository" to "debian/.m2/repository", and call maven's
bootstrap shell script. (this process is described in
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-building-m2.html)

Any comments?