Re: A Java Packaging Wishlist

manfred@mosabuam.com wrote:
> I will some more:
>
> - Support Maven builds and be able to read dependencies from the maven
> pom.xml file and translate them to the debian control file entries for
> dependencies and run dependencies.

The maven pom certainly contains lots of the information you need to
create a Debian package - dependencies, authors, licenses etc.

By the way, I wasn't quite sure how you were suggesting this information
should be used:

- at package *creation* time (i.e. when you first create the
debian/rules, debian/copyright files etc, possibly using dh_make)

- at package *build* time (e.g. when you run debuild).

I think using the information at package *creation* time is a good idea;
I listed a few ideas in my original email. The automatic tools would
create a skeleton packaging which could be amended by the packager.

But I'm not so sure about dynamically generating dependency information
at package build time. Did you see the discussion earlier this month
about "java dependency substvars"?

Regards,
Paul