Re: maven2 for Debian

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 01:03:33PM -0800, Manfred Moser wrote:
> On Sunday March 4 2007 09:27, Michael Koch wrote:
>
> > I have built a preliminary Debian packages for Maven 2 for people
> > who need it or wanna look into Maven. I did this by using the
> > binary distribution from upstream. You can install it by adding
> >
> > deb http://people.debian.org/~mkoch/maven2/ ./
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> This is great. I use Maven2 on a daily base as part of my job. I am
> running the upstream install in Ubuntu. I am going to give this a
> whirl next week.
>
> I would also be interested in binary derived packages of all sorts of
> other stuff. How hard is it to create a package like this? Are there
> any instructions somewhere?

For an experienced packager perhaps 20 minutes or work. The instructions
are at http://www.debian.org/devel/. But experience can't really be
teached in a howto.

IMO its lost time to create a bunch of binary packages and maintain them
needs some time. And this time is lost for real packaging work. My goal
is to put my Java packages into Debian and not maintain them outside of
Debian. I just created the binary maven2 package to get experience with
maven and to be able to boostrap its build rom source.

> I think as a first entry point packages like this would be awesome. At
> least a lot better than no packages.
>
> Sort of related-  another question. Couldn't we come up with some sort
> of Maven assembly plugin definition that would allow deb creation
> fairly easily?

Would probably be possible. The problem with this is that these packages
would most probably of no good quality and never enter the Debian
archive. We definitely need to create helpers for packaging maven based
software. We will have to see how these look like.

> And another one ... would it make sense to get everything maven
> downloads when it runs through its dependency system in some location
> like /usr/share/java/maven2/repository so that it comes available for
> all users? Could this be expanded to be actually used as a packaging
> system?

The general plan is to provide this for all software that is not yet
packaged in Debian. This would make it easy for users to use any maven
based software.

> And a last one.. have you announced the package on the maven lists?

No. I'm not subcribed to maven upstream list.

Cheers,
Michael
--
 .''`.  | Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de>