Re: Changing policy for the Maintainer field

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I believe this is a bad idea, because only the maintainer get the bug
> reports by default, and I believe the entire team should get a message
> when new bugs arrive.

An even bigger problem is that nobody gets the bug reports in person now.
Uploaders are supposed to subscribe to the package in the PTS.

Isn't it possible to get bug reports forwarded automatically to the mailing
list anyway?

> In the Debian Boot team, the packages are group maintained with the
> uploaders as the persons taking most care of the packages.  I believe
> this work very well.  If group maintainence do not work properly, I
> believe it need to be fixed in the group.

I partly agree, but I think that different groups can have different
dynamics and structure, and therefore require different rules. This
explains the fact that various teams have come up with different ways of
managing things (see the thread in -devel I referred to in my last mail).
So while this setup might work well in Debian Boot, I would argue that it
doesn't work well here.

One reason for this may be that many Java packages do not require updates
very often, so it is normal that very little work is done for long periods
(several months). This means that people can drop out without anyone
noticing much. The team's loose structure makes this matter even worse.

I know at least one person that is listed as Uploader for dozens of
packages, despite being MIA for almost a year. Could that ever happen in
Debian Boot? If not, how is it prevented?

> I doubt shuffling fields in the control file will fix the problem.

It will fix one aspect of the problem, namely that "shared responsibility"
equals "no responsibility" in too many cases.

Marcus